Hātea Run Club Rules
You have to learn the rules of the game. And then you have to play better than anyone else.
– Sen. Dianne Feinstein
The name of the club shall be the Hātea Run.
- The objectives of the Club shall be to encourage and practice athletics and harriers.
- The Club shall be affiliated to Athletics New Zealand.
The club uniform shall be black shorts and black top with yellow highlights with the name Hātea Run on the front and back, in yellow or as the Executive may decide from time to time. All other items of Club clothing shall be black with yellow highlights and may include the Club monogram.
Members may be:
- Active Members, according to grades as established by Athletics New Zealand.
- Club Only Members aged 15 years and over.
- Second Club Members. (Those registered with another club)
- Life members.
- Honorary members.
- Volunteer. (Non competitive club member)
- Membership shall only be granted after an applicant attends 3 club events and is approved for membership by the Executive.
- All active members shall be amateurs as defined by the rules of Athletics New Zealand.
- Honorary members may be elected by the Executive or at a General meeting of the Club.
- Life Membership may be conferred on a person for special services to the Club. Life Members shall be elected only at the Annual General Meeting or at a Special General Meeting of the Club. Nominations of such must be submitted in writing by two financial members of the Club to the Executive Committee at least fourteen days prior to such meetings. Voted affirmative by at least 75% of such a meeting.
The annual subscription shall be determined at the Annual Meeting of the Club each year and shall fall due on the first day of the Club year, except in the case of new members whose subscriptions shall fall due on the date of election. Honorary members and Life members shall be exempt from paying an annual subscription but shall pay any fees set by Athletics New Zealand should they be active members.
- A member may resign and the Executive shall have the power to accept such resignation.
- A person shall cease to be a member of the Club on committing any act against the rules of Athletics New Zealand for the time being. In the event of any member being in arrears in subscription for more than one year or more, the Executive reserves the right of deleting his or her name from the Club’s role. The Executive also reserves the right to expel any member who in the Executive’s opinion misconducts himself or herself to such an extent to warrant expulsion.
The officers of the Club shall be:
- Patron(s) (Honorary)
- Club Captain(s)
- An Honorary Auditor may be elected annually but is not considered to be an officer.
- The officers shall be elected at the Annual General Meeting but any casual vacancies may be filled by appointment by the Executive at any meeting thereof.
- The Executive shall consist of the officers and up to four other financial members elected at the Annual General Meeting.
- Any officer or member of the Executive may resign office by notice in writing and shall forfeit their office by the absence without leave from three consecutive meetings of the Executive.
- Casual vacancies in the Executive may be filled by appointment by the Executive.
- Except as may otherwise be specifically provided in these rules the Executive shall have and may exercise all the powers that may be exercised by the members at a General Meeting of the Club.
- The Executive may appoint such sub-committees for such purpose as it may think fit, and may delegate to such sub-committees such of its power, subject to such conditions, as it may think fit.
- An Annual General Meeting of the Club shall be held not later than the last day of October each year and at that meeting the President shall present a report covering the operations of the Club during the previous year and the Treasurer shall present a statement of:
a) The Receipts and Payments for the year.
b) The Income and Expenditure.
c) A Balance Sheet.
All of the above being subject to review.
- Special General Meetings may be convened at any time by the President, or by the Executive and shall be convened by the secretary on presentation of a requisition signed by not less than one tenth of all senior and junior financial members of the Club, stating the objects for which such a meeting is convened. Such meetings shall be held not more than fourteen days after the day on which the requisition was presented to the Secretary.
- a) The Secretary shall give not less than fourteen days notice of an Annual General Meeting by means of an advertisement in a local newspaper, electronic message or personal written notification; every such advertisement, electronic message or written notification shall state the date, time and place of the meeting and in the case of a Special General Meeting, the objects thereof.
b) Except by the unanimous vote of members present, no business other than that stated in such advertisement, electronic message or personal written notification shall be considered by any Special General Meeting.
- Only officers and financial members over the age of 16 years of age shall be entitled to vote with the exception of financial members under the age of 16 years of age who may be represented by a parent of guardian over the age of 16 years.
- The Quorum for every General Meeting shall be ten financial members and for a meeting of the Executive five members thereof, two of whom must be drawn from the following: President, Secretary, Treasurer, Club Captain and up to members of the elected Executive.
- a) At all General Meetings of the Club the chair shall be taken by the President, or in the absence of the President, by a member chosen by the meeting. The President or person so chosen to chair the meeting shall have a deliberative as well as a casting vote.
b) At all meetings of the Executive the chair shall be taken by the President, or on the absence of the President, by a member of the Executive chosen by those present.
c) Voting at all meetings shall be – voices – show of hands – ballot.
- The Club’s financial year shall begin on the first day of October and end on the last day of September of the year following.
- All monies must be banked, and all payments made by cheque or secure electronic payment. The Trustees of the bank account shall be: Treasurer, President and the Secretary. Any two signatures of the trustees shall be sufficient for and endorsement of withdrawal.
- Any expenditure in excess of $2000.00 can only be approved at a Special General meeting or Annual General Meeting of the club.
In the event of the winding up of the Club or of its dissolution the funds of the Club remaining after payment and satisfaction of its debts and liabilities and the costs and expenses of winding up shall be transferred to Athletics Northland.
Alteration of Rules
These rules shall not be amended, added to or rescinded except by a resolution in that behalf passed by a majority not less than three fifths of the members present and entitled to vote at Annual General Meeting or Special General Meeting convened for the purpose nor unless written notice of the proposed amendment, addition or rescission shall have been given to the Secretary not less than fourteen days before the meeting; no such amendment, addition or rescission shall be valid unless and until accepted by Athletics Northland and approved by Athletics New Zealand.
Matter Not Provided For
In all matters not otherwise specially provided for in these rules, the rules of Athletics Northland or Athletics New Zealand, where appropriate, shall apply. In the event of these rules not being applicable the decision of Athletics Northland shall be sought.